How does Roblox work?
After the very simple registration at Roblox (only user name and password are necessary), you can choose between two game variants. Either you build your own games in the "Roblox Studio" or you use games created by other users.
Graphically, the entire Roblox universe is kept quite simple. The design of the characters is reminiscent of Lego figures. However, creating games in Roblox Studio is complex and requires training. Finished games can be played relatively without hurdles, as they usually rely on familiar game principles. According to Roblox, users can currently choose from over 50 million games.
Is Roblox suitable for children?
Although Roblox is deliberately designed for children, there are some mechanics and content that are not suitable for children.
- Roblox offers a lot of games created by other players. This content is only insufficiently checked. Therefore, it is easy to find content that is disturbing, racist, violent or otherwise harmful to minors.
- The default settings after logging in to Roblox are unsafe for children and allow strangers to contact them via the chat function.
- Roblox is free of charge in its basic functions. However, there is an in-game currency called Robux. These Robux must be purchased with real money. Almost all games encourage - sometimes more, sometimes less aggressively - to spend Robux.
How can Roblox be used more safely?
- If parents create an account together with their child, they can activate an account restriction in the settings under the menu item "Security". If the account restriction is active, only games checked by Roblox can be started. In addition, the chat function is deactivated. With account restriction enabled, only a very small number of games are available. This setting has no influence on direct purchase prompts.
- An account PIN can be created in the settings under the menu item "Security". This prevents the child from undoing the account restriction. To set up an account PIN, parents must first link their email address to the account.
- Discuss with children that they should not reveal any personal details about themselves. Neither in chat conversations nor in self-promotion on their profile.
- Teach children that the goal of many games is to encourage players to buy additional content. By using the fantasy currency Robux, which however has to be bought for real money, it can be difficult to estimate the real costs.
- In many games, you'll come across offers that promise you Robux. Make children aware that these offers are scams and should never be accepted.