Is my child old enough to have his or her own smartphone?
Many parents want a clear age statement as an answer to this question. However, it makes more sense than looking at age to consider the child's stage of development.
- With the klicksafe checklist "Is my child fit for his or her own smartphone? "parents can check alone or together with their child whether a smartphone belongs under the Christmas tree or not.
- In the klicksafe parents' area, we offer information and tips for parents of children under the age of 10 in the section "Cell phones in children's hands ". For parents of older children, we offer corresponding information and tips in the section "Cell phones, apps and mobile surfing".
Can smartphones be child-proofed?
There can be no complete protection against negative content and experiences when using smartphones. Nevertheless, it is highly advisable to exhaust the possibilities that technical protective measures can offer.
- The klicksafe info sheet "Technical settings: Smartphone and Tablet " gives parents a guide to the most important parental control settings on devices with the iOS and Android operating systems.
- In the video series "mobil & safe", together with mobilsicher.de, we provide information in ten videos on how to set up a smartphone correctly. There are also tips on the security settings of various apps.
What smartphone rules are important?
With a smartphone, children potentially have access to the entire Internet. However, in addition to all the exciting and entertaining things, this also includes a whole range of impairing or dangerous content. Don't wait until the first problems arise, but talk to your children ahead of time about potential dangers and point out options for action. Due to the wide range of risks(cyber-grooming, cyber-bullying, hate speech, fake news, shopping traps and much more), all issues cannot be resolved in a single conversation. Rather, parents should be prepared to stay in a continuous exchange with the child in order to actively accompany online activities. To avoid constant discussions about smartphone use in families, rules drawn up jointly and early on can help.
- The klicksafe guidebook "Smart mobil? " is aimed at parents who want to support their child in smartphone use. You can download the brochure or order it as a print brochure at .
- The brochure "Smartphones souverän nutzen " provides comprehensive information on safe smartphone use. The brochure is currently only available as a download.
- With the online media usage contract offered by klicksafe and Internet-ABC, families can individually determine which media may be used by family members, when and for how long. The corresponding flyer is available here.
Useful websites with further information: